This event finished on September 28, 2017
The newest activation to North Coast Harbor’s wellness initiative, Ship Shape Running Club, is the perfect way to enjoy Downtown Cleveland and burn calories each Thursday evening from 6pm-7pm, June through September.
Brought to you by the City of Cleveland and Downtown Cleveland Alliance, Ship Shape is a FREE running club welcoming runners from all fitness levels and ages. Our runs are led by area coaches hired from Fleet Feet Sports and Hermes Sports & Events. The run is around 1 hour and will average 3+miles in distance (progressing in miles during the season). Registration is required in advance. Runs begin and end in North Coast Harbor. Routes vary week to week.
Warm up: Attendees are encouraged to warm up prior to the run time. We suggest you park in the FREE lot located behind FirstEnergy Stadium, then jog over to Voinovich Park. The short jog will help warm up the muscles, elevate your heart rate and prepare your body for our run.
Check-in: Please check-in at or before 6:00pm next to the Cleveland Script Sign. We will start the run promptly at 6:05pm. You will need to verify your name, for quick check-in have the EventBrite app downloaded on your phone or bring a print out of your registration.
ROUTES: Course will be posted week of Run- so that we can cross check with events and avoid highly congested areas. Routes will be shared to the GROUP PAGE- Ship Shape North Coast Running Club on Facebook.
UPDATE: JUNE 22 the park will be closed for event set up- our meet up location and route will be the Burning River Ramble Run. This is a free event- we hope you can join our team and participate in the 4 miles run/walk!
Cool down & Stretch: When we return to the park, post run, we will take 5-10 minutes to cool down and stretch. You may take more time if you need it.
***For the safety of the group, we ask that runners avoid wearing earbuds/headphones so that they are aware of their surroundings at all times.
Tips for Beginner Runners
- Dress for the Weather: Hats, sunglasses, sunscreen and lightweight clothing for summer running
- Sweating: It is best to run in clothing with breathable wicking material to avoid chaffing and blisters caused by sweat; the wicking material draws perspiration away from the skin and will help to keep you from overheating in warmer weather runs
- Shoes: wear appropriate running sneakers, if you are in the market for a new pair visit your local Fleet Feet for the perfect fit
- Hydration: Be sure to hydrate with plenty of water throughout the day prior to the run. Depending on the weather the day of the run, bring a bottle of water with you to stay hydrated during the run.
- Walking is OK: You know your limits, don’t push it we are out here for fun!
More running tips, articles and running advice visit Fleet Feet Sports
For upcoming race information visit, Hermes Sports & Events
What should I wear?
Comfortable running sneakers, weather appropriate clothes, sunglasses and sunscreen are suggested (pay attention to the weather)
What should I bring?
You may want to have a water bottle with you, depending on the weather. It is always good to carry a form of personal ID in case of an emergency.
Is there someplace I can change my clothes/use the restroom?
Yes, the public restrooms are located on the north side of the Nuevo restaurant, next to the sand volleyball courts at the end of E9th Street Pier.
Are there restrooms located throughout the route?
No, please make sure you take care of business before we leave the harbor. Public restrooms are available next to the sand volleyball courts.
Where should I park?
FREE parking will be located at North Coast Harbor Dock 30-32 Lots (access from Erieside Avenue)
- WALKING from Dock 30-32 to Voinovich Park:
- Head East towards the Mather Steam Ship, follow waters edge South around the inner harbor passing the Great Lakes Science Center and Rock Hall and leading you to E9 pier
Meter parking on E9th Street and Erieside are free after 6PM. Parking on the E9th Pier is monitored 24/7, parkers pay by hour with credit card or exact cash.